Ocean View Elementary PTA Minutes
September 9, 2014
The meeting was called to order by the president, Tiffany Patzke, at 7:00 p.m. in the library. A quorum was present and the following 20 members attended:
Heather Jones, Heather Mouw, Carrie Todd, Rebecca Garcia, Jason Zotlola, Dali Osmane, Lori Hickman, Jamie Kmet, Erynn Smith, Kyra Workman, Lindsay Davis, Valerie Johnson, Holly Barclay, Shanna Zuspan, Larrell Lockard, Robert Garcia, Marylynn Zock, Bev Courtnage, Tiffany Patzke, Brad Davis.
Copies of the minutes from the previous meeting were provided for all members to review. A motion to approve the minutes was made by Lori and seconded by Jamie. The motion carried.
Regular Account: $11,719.29
Carrie reported we need to schedule an annual audit to be completed and filed with Alaska PTA by the end of October.
Jamie reported we have received 25 single and 22 family memberships, for a total of 69 members.
Tiffany welcomed everyone to our first annual meeting and introduced our 2014-15 PTA board members. They are as follows:
- Tiffany Patzke, President
- Heather Mouw, Vice President
- Jamie Kmet, Vice President 2
- Carrie Todd, Treasurer
- Rebecca Garcia, Secretary
A copy of our proposed annual budget was submitted to members for review. The income and expense details were explained within the budget. A motion to approve the budget was made by Bev and seconded by Heather M. The motion carried.
The school business partners are sponsoring the “It’s Cool to Come to School” contest throughout the school district for attendance. Students with no unexcused absences could win a chance to earn their class an inflatable party per quarter or an ultimate field day at the end of the school year. Please call the office if your child is ill, excused absences do not count against your child.
The Anchorage School District will soon be offering text messaging service to all parents for updates such as school closures or late buses. This will be in addition to TV, radio, and website notifications already in use.
The State of Alaska will be implementing a new testing format for assessments this year called Alaska Measures of Progress (AMP). In the past, SBA testing usually occurred over 3 days in April when taken with paper and pencil. This year the testing window will be expanded to accommodate all students (3rd-6th) to complete their assessment tests on a computer. This will affect when PTA provides snacks for students and when volunteers are needed for hall monitors.
- Innisbrook, the main fundraiser of the year is underway and all orders are due by Thursday, September 18th. A buyout program has been offered as an option, with 100% of the proceeds going to Ocean View PTA and a prize given to each child for participation.
- A canopy will be purchased by Sept. 27th for use at the XC Jamboree and to be used in the future for any PTA or school sponsored events.
- The physical education department has elected to use annual funds to purchase snow shoes for students and service existing skates and skis.
- Committees for this year’s PTA sponsored activities were set and members are encouraged to join.
- The PTA will renew the school license for showing movies in the school for “Movie Night”. Grade levels may be allowed to host movie nights for fundraising opportunities.
Oct. 20-23 Book Fair (volunteers needed)
Oct. 22-23 Parent/Teacher conferences (teacher luncheon donations needed)
Oct. 24 No School – Fall Carnival setup
Oct. 25 Fall Carnival 6-8 p.m.
The next PTA meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 14th in the library at 7p.m.
A motion to adjourn was made at 7:55 p.m. by Bev and seconded by Robert. Motion carried.
*These minutes have been submitted for approval by Rebecca Garcia on September 10th, 2014.